May 12, 2009

Update on Nathen...


Today we received updated height and weight on Nathen! He weighed 15.7 lbs and is 26.3 inches long. That puts him at 50% percentile for his height and 25% percentile for his weight. That may not seem like a lot but compared to his previous measurements this is awesome! Before he was never even on the charts. I am so excited to see how much he has grown. Hopefully we will get new pictures in the next few days. :) Oh, I think I forgot to post his age before. They have Nathen's date of birth as October 26th 2008 but that is only a guess. He was found abandoned so his "real" birth date will never be known. So right now he is approx 6 months old, almost 7 months old. Our case worker also said she needs to find out about the correct spelling of his name. She said it can vary and may not be spelled the way we originally thought. I guess I better wait to hang those letters on the walls of his room until I know for sure! :)

We still don't have any travel dates confirmed. UGGGG I hate not knowing until the last minute. It could literally be just a few days before we are scheduled to leave before we know for sure. We have another round of paperwork to do and lots of last minute things...




Last Friday was a bitter-sweet day for us. We finally got details on the devastation that has affected so many families adopting from Ethiopia right now. Earlier last week another agency attempted to pass a large group of children through court that raised red flags. It appears some or all of the children were not legitimate abandonments and the courts are now suspicious of ALL abandonment cases. The courts have decided to halt all proceedings of any child that was found abandoned inside the capital city of Addis Ababa until further notice. No one knows when or if these cases will ever go forward. The only way we were able to pass court is Nathen was found outside the city in a town called Sebeta. We know how easily we could have been on the other side of the table. Unsure when or if our child was ever coming home. Families are devastated, worried, and confused, as would be expected. More than likely the courts will put new procedures into play and the cases will eventually go forward but there is no guarantee for anyone. For now they must wait, again... I can only imagine how they are feeling. Some of these babies have urgent medical conditions. I feel guilty that I am able to bring my baby home when so many others can not. It is so sad. All we can do is pray that the judge finds a quick solution and the cases are rescheduled QUICKLY! Please pray for these families and the children.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I know you don't know us, but I've been reading your blog. :) He is absolutely adorable. I know it's hard to hear about other families going through hardships, but you deserve to celebrate as well, what a precious little man you have to bring home very soon.

Missy said...

He is sooo darn cute!!! Such a change from his referral photo!!!
Are you planning on taking TONS of pics for the other families? I'm sure that would help with the uncertain wait they are faced with!! Hopefully, they will get you their forms ASAP!!

Renee said...

You definitely do not need to feel guilty! We are all working through this and it is hard for us, but we are all excited that you get to bring your sweet boy home!! Hope you guys get to travel soon!

Brad and Fran Hoagland said...

I am amazed at how much he has grown! And he and our Annsleigh are about the same age. She was born Oct 16. By the time we bring her home though she will be about 8 1/2 months old (hopefully no older!) And please dont feel guilty about your passing court. Celebrate! We all know it could be, or can be any of us that just about anything can put a halt on things in this process. That is scary to me. You just never know until you have them in arms. Enjoy!

Gretchen said...

Woo-hoo! I love that gaining weight business....

I wonder if you're getting pictures from the same family I am?? If so, I'm hopeful that we'll see our first updated pictures by Monday or Tuesday??

Soon for you, so very soon....

Bill, Misty, Will, and Laura Ann said...

Gorgeous Boy!! Our Laura Ann was born on Oct 26th 07.

Becky said...

He is so cute! They changed the spelling of Bekele's name right before we traveled also so we were so confused since we had been assuming his name was what was on the referral. I got so confused because they were calling him Yonatan but we had to spell everything differently. So excited for you!!!

Unknown said...

Sherry-try not to feel guilty. We love you and Nathan and are THRILLED he's coming home. Yes, I wish more than anything I was going with you, but it doesn't mean I'm not happy for you. Thank God somebody passed. Now, you can kiss all our babies for us. I'm so thankful for that. Tab