May 19, 2009

Need a little help...



We recently found out the babies name is spelled different than we originally thought. On his referral documents it was spelled Nathenael and on his official documents Nathnael. On one form it was spelled Natnael, which is actually the traditional Ethiopian spelling of the name. We want to shorten it to Nathen or Nathan as a nickname but we need to decide on spelling first. I was already stuck on Nathenael but now I am not so sure. Nathanael is the biblical way of spelling it. I want his name to have some significance and I really wanted his name to be a traditional Ethiopian spelling but... Natnael would be hard to shorten to Nathen/Nathan plus the pronunciation is different. I don't know what to do but we have to decide!!! the name means "Gift from God" no matter how it is spelled. I am now leaning toward Nathanael (Nathan) since it is the biblical spelling. I think I have decided on Elias for his middle name, which is the name I originally I wanted to give him and it is a traditional Ethiopian name meaning "The Lord is God". Ok, are you confused yet??? I am! :) Help me here. On the side bar there is a place where you can vote for which spelling you like best! :)

The picture of my little guy above was a picture we got at referral and I love it. He was so tiny but there is so much character and expression in his face.

4 comments:

Barbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbie said...

What does Nick think? Think about what will be easiest for Nathen/Nathan to spell when it comes time for him to start school. They are both very neat ways of spelling his name.

Chelsea said...

I'm not positive, but I don't think you will legally change his name until you've been home for a year and re-adopt him in the U.S. For travel you use his Ethiopian name, your husbands first name for his middle, and your last name. Something to check into.

But I like either spelling Nathen or Nathan. :)

Bill, Misty, Will, and Laura Ann said...

How about calling him Nat (short a sound)(Natnael) not Nate?
All of the options that you mentioned are great.
I love that you are seeking significance for his name. Whatever you pick will be fine, you are obviously seeking to glorify God in your decision and that is our purpose!