February 20, 2009

Getting ready...

Monday we went for our travel immunizations which equaled to about 5 billion 4-inch needle shots. Ok so I am exaggerating it was only 5 shots, but the needles were 4 inches! Plus we got our prescription for Malaria medication. I took my shots like a trooper, Nick on the other hand yelped like a little girl. Hee Hee! We were sore for several days and I can just now hold my arms up past shoulder height. We are now immune to Polio, Yellow Fever, Tetanus/Diphtheria, Hep A & Hap B, and Typhoid. We go back next week for another Hep A/B shot and then again in 2 weeks to make us totally immune. Monday's visit took us 2 1/2 hours so I already warned the health dept they better have me in and out this time.

Ok, so as we are going over the list of needed immunizations with the lady at the health dept she continuously mentions, as she names each illness and how horrible it is, that it is "rampant" in orphanages and we must get the immunization if visiting the orphanage. HELLO! My child is in that very orphanage, what is protecting him???? The thought had never crossed my mind until then. I don't have a clue what vaccinations, if any he has gotten. So I emailed our social worker asking that very question. Unfortunately I have not yet heard back from her. I know they have had a very busy week, 3 referrals came in this week and I am sure she is busy answering all of the parents questions just has she did mine. At the same time though I am a little worried. I will feel much better once I know he is at the House of Hope. I know the nannies at the orphanage are taking great care of him but it is just different at the HOH. I am praying daily that God takes care of my little one until we get him home. He is half way around the world and we are months away from being able to hold, comfort, and care for him.

Austin has wrestling qualifying for State Tournaments next weekend. I really hope he does well. It would be awesome just for him to make it to State his first year! Plus it is costing a lot of money just going to qualifying so it will stink if he loses and we end up with a really short day. He is a natural at wrestling but I think he will improve a lot next year. At practice he does all the different moves perfect but in an actual match he does not always think about what he needs to be doing. I think this will be "his" sport though. Baseball is now starting which is running together with wrestling, things may get a little complicated over the next few weeks. Nick is coaching Austin's baseball team so it adds another level of difficulty since he has to be there to coach even if Austin has wrestling. We need to start thinking ahead on this sort of stuff before signing up for everything.

Between now and the end of the school year we will be sooooo insanely busy. At least that should make the time fly until we travel to Ethiopia and bring our little one home. Then we will have the nice slow summer to just relax and enjoy spending time together as a family. GOD IS GOOD...

Ok, so I have seen many fellow bloggers that do "favorite photo Friday". While I honestly just can't keep up with them on this I would like to post a great picture of Austin and Olivia when they were little. I was looking back on how cute they were when they were little, what happened?!?! :)

No comments: